Glen F. Gordon
Glen Gordon became of counsel to HBC in 2015 after an exceptional career with Buchanan, Gray, Purvis & Schuetze and Purvis, Gray, Schuetze & Gordon. He later founded Schuetze & Gordon LLP with Bob Schuetze.
Glen is the son of a career Army officer and was born on a U.S. Army base in West Germany. He is an undergraduate Honors College graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and the University of Colorado School of Law, where he was Order of the Coif (top 10% of class) and an editor of the Colorado Law Review.
Glen has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and named a Colorado Super Lawyer.
Glen is married and has two kids. He enjoys fly fishing in the western United States and the Florida Keys.
AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Rating
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Union Pacific Railroad v. Martin, 209 P.3d 185 (Colo. 2009)
- Mincin v. Vail Holdings, Inc., 308 F.3d 1105 (10th Cir. 2002)
- Thompson v. State of Colorado, 258 F.3d 1241 (10th Cir. 2001)
- Teneyck v. Roller Hockey Colorado, Ltd., 10 P.3d 709 (Colo. App. 2000)
- Bayer v. Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Inc., 960 P.2d 70 (Colo. 1998)
- Wiglesworth v. Farmers Ins. Exchange, 917 P.2d 288 (Colo. 1996)
- Pierce V. Wiglesworth, 903 P.2d 656 (Colo. App. 1994)
- Farmers Ins. Exchange v. Wiglesworth, 903 P.2d 659 (Colo. App. 1994)
- Schneider v. Midtown Motor Co., 854 P.2d 1322 (Colo. App. 1992)
- Joel L. Schaffer, P.C. v. Christopher M. Sullivan, P.C., 844 P.2d 1327 (Colo. App. 1992)
- Denver Air Center v. District Court for Twentieth Judicial Dist. of State of Colo., 839 P.2d 1182 (Colo. 1992)
Glen has extensive experience in the area of ski lift accidents and ski area liability, having represented numerous clients in state and federal court against Colorado's prominent ski area industry, including Vail, Aspen, Copper Mountain, Wolf Creek, Crested Butte and POMA corporation. He was co-counsel for plaintiff with Bob Schuetze in Bayer v. Crested Butte, 960 P.2d 70 (Colo. 1998), in which the Colorado Supreme Court established the legal rule that ski area operators owe to their patrons the "highest degree of care" in connection with ski lift operation.
Glen was Colorado counsel in an Americans with Disabilities Act class action brought by disabled Coloradoans against the State of Colorado arising from the State's charging a fee for disabled persons to obtain disabled parking placards. The case was recognized as the "Case of the Year 2008" by the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.
In 1998, Glen represented a young Boulder attorney who had been involved in an automobile accident early in his professional career. A jury awarded the client $450,000, substantially in excess of the $15,000 pretrial offer from the insurance company.
In his many years of practice, Glen has handled literally hundreds of personal injury claims and has tried numerous cases to juries and arbitration panels. These cases have ranged from basic automobile accidents to complex railroad grade crossing collisions, and brain injury and paraplegia claims.
Publications and Presentations
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, University of Colorado School of Law (1997-2000)
- Presenter, Developments in UM/UIM Law, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (1997)
- Presenter, Premises Liability, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (1996)
Board Member, Lake of the Pines HOA (2000-2005)
Areas of Practice
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1990
Order of the Coif; University of Colorado Law Review, 1988-1990
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1987, with Honors
Undergraduate Honors College
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- Colorado, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002
Memberships / Awards
- Member, Boulder County Bar Association (1998-present)
- Chairman, Boulder County Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section (1992-1993)
- Chairman, Boulder County Bar Association, Medical Legal Section (1997-1998)
- Member, University of Colorado Legal Aid and Defender Program (1990)
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America