Robert A. Schuetze
Bob Schuetze brought over three decades of experience to HBC when he joined of counsel in 2015. He was a founding member of Buchanan, Gray, Purvis & Schuetze, which later became Purvis, Gray, Schuetze & Gordon. He later founded Schuetze & Gordon LLP with Glen Gordon.
Bob served in the United States Navy from 1969-1977. He received the Navy Commendation Medal after service in Vietnam and was an instructor at the Armed Forces Air Intelligence Training Center.
Bob is a past president of the Boulder County Bar Association and past president of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association. Bob has also served as chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Colorado Bar Foundation.
Bob is nationally recognized in the area of railroad grade crossing litigation and has served as the Chairman of the Railroad Crossing Litigation Section of the American Association of Justice. He has also handled literally hundreds of personal injury claims and has tried numerous cases to juries and arbitration panels, ranging from automobile products liability, railroad grade crossing collisions, truck transportation and aviation. He has extensive experience with cases involving brain injury, spinal cord injury and wrongful death.
Bob has been included by his peers in Best Lawyers in America and selected as a Colorado Super Lawyer.
In his spare time, Bob enjoys downhill skiing, running, biking and golf.
AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Rating
Representative Cases and Transactions
Bob was plaintiffs' counsel in the landmark Colorado railroad crossing liability case in which a verdict of $23 million was returned. In the last 25 years, he has been involved in railroad crossing cases throughout Colorado and in California, New Mexico, North Dakota and Utah.
He has expertise in the area of ski lift accidents and ski area liability. Bob was co-counsel for plaintiff with Glen Gordon in Bayer v. Crested Butte, 960 P.2d 70 (Colo. 1998), in which the Colorado Supreme Court established the legal rule that ski area operators owe to their patrons the "highest degree of care" in connection with ski lift operation.
Bob has been involved in numerous cases that have resulted in verdicts or settlements in excess of a million dollars. He has also conducted jury trials where the verdict was more than ten times the amount offered by the insurance company.
Publications and Presentations
Bob is a contributing author to the Colorado Bar Assocation Trial Handbook. He has lectured extensively in Colorado and nationally in the area of trial advocacy and trial preparation.
- President, Colorado Veterans Support, Inc. (2014-present)
- President, Boulder Country Club (2010-2011)
- Member, Advisory Board - Colorado Head Injury Foundation (1985-1992)
- Member, Board of Directors - Boulder County Visiting Nurse Association (1982-1985)
- Member, Board of Directors - Ecocyle (1986-1990)
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1976
Senior Editor, Denver Law Journal, 1975-1976
- University of Denver, B.A., 1968
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- Colorado, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 1977
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002
Memberships / Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation (1990-present)
- Listed in Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado (2013)
- Member, Twentieth Judicial District Nominating Commission (1987-1992)
- Member, Boulder County Bar Association
- President, Boulder County Bar Association (1984-1985)
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Senior Vice President, Colorado Bar Association (1985-1986)
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors (1985-1990)
- Member, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- President, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (2000-2001)
- Member, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association Board of Directors (1980-2002)
- Member, American Law Institute (1990-2010)
- Member, Colorado Bar Foundation
- Member, Colorado Bar Foundation Board of Trustees (1989-present)
- President, Colorado Bar Foundation Board of Trustees (1992-1994)
- Member, Legal Aid Foundation Board of Trustees (1989-1995)