William D. Meyer
When describing Bill, the words that typically come to mind are experience and professionalism. The breadth of Bill's civil trial experience is unique in Boulder and the region. In thirty-four years of practice, Bill has handled a wide variety of major cases, ranging from commercial and intellectual property disputes, to major personal injury and products liability claims, and real estate and construction matters. He has tried complex cases for clients throughout Colorado and the West. While he often represents Colorado businesses and individuals, Bill has a diverse clientele ranging from European and Asian multinationals, to Colorado ranchers, local not-for-profits and the indigent.
The hallmark of Bill's practice, whether representing a large corporation or a pro bono client, is professionalism. Our system relies on lawyers who meticulously prepare their cases, settle disputes where possible, and try cases when necessary with skill and vigor. Bill's strengths in these areas are appreciated by clients and colleagues throughout the region. As a result, Bill often is asked to take on difficult or unique litigation, where professional skills are at a premium.
For more than a decade, Bill has carried these skills onto the international stage. He has worked with lawyers and judges in emerging democracies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, Asia, Africa and the Middle East to develop ethical and independent legal systems. In 2004 and again in 2007, Bill received awards from the American Bar Association for his outstanding and ongoing contributions to the promotion of the rule of law worldwide.
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Publications and Presentations
Presenter, First International Lawyers' Conference, Damascus, Syria, 2008
Presenter, Yemen Bar Association workshops, 2006
Lecturer, Faculty of Sharia and Law, Sana'a University, Yemen, 2006
While Bill has dedicated many hours of service to the Boulder community, outside the United States he is best known for his deep commitment to developing the rule of law in emerging democracies around the world. From September of 1991 to September of 1992, Bill served as the first liaison for the ABA's Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI) in Sofia, Bulgaria. Since 1992, he has continued his active involvement in the reform efforts in Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Armenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovakia, Albania, Cambodia, Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Morocco, Syria and Yemen. In 1999 - 2000, Bill served in Prague as the initial Executive Director of the CEELI Institute, a post-graduate lawyer and judicial training institute sponsored by the ABA.
In recognition of his experience, and at the request of the International Bar Association in London, Bill served as an advisor to the Law Society of Kenya in 2002. Bill was a founder of the International Legal Assistance Consortium based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has been recognized as ILAC's "Life Member."
Bill was part of the American delegation selected by Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to participate in the sixteen-nation Arab Judicial Forum in Manama, Bahrain in 2003. He presently continues his volunteer involvement in the Middle East, working with reformers from throughout the region on a variety of constitutional, judicial and human rights issues.
Areas of Practice
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1973
Order of the Coif
University of Michigan Law Review
Legal Aid Award
- Iowa State University, B.S., 1969
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Memberships / Awards
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- American Bar Foundation
- Boulder Bar Foundation
- Boulder Rotary Club
- Advisory Board, Central and East European Law Initiative (CEELI)
- International Board of Directors, Center for the Study of Democracy (Sofia)
- Board of Directors, The CEELI Institute, p.b.c., (Prague)
- Executive Committee, International Legal Assistance Consortium (Stockholm)
- ABA Middle Eastern and North Africa Council, 2007
- ABA Rule of Law Award, 2007
- Life Member Award, International Legal Assistance Consortium (ILAC), 2006
- Recipient, Ron Porter Award of Merit, Boulder County Bar Association, 2006
- Chair, International Law Committee, Colorado Bar Association (1996-97)
- Advisory Board, Boulder County Community Action Program (1993 - 98)
- Board of Directors, Colorado Lawyers Committee (1990-91)
- ABA CEELI Volunteer Lawyer of the Year (2004)
- Boulder Rotary Club, Rotarian of the Year (2004-05)
- Selected for "Best Lawyers in America" and "Colorado Super Lawyers"