Justin C. Konrad
Justin Konrad joined Hutchinson Black and Cook, LLC in 2007 and became a Member of the firm in 2012. Prior to joining the firm, Justin clerked for the Honorable David M. Ebel at the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. His practice emphasizes general-counsel representation of emerging and growing businesses, including business formation, contracts and operations, mergers and acquisitions, and employment and consulting arrangements. Justin's practice also focuses on the intellectual property aspects of business law including trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, domain names and licensing agreements. As a professional musician and recording engineer, Justin has a special interest in entertainment law and represents musicians, filmmakers, writers and others in the entertainment industries.
In his free time, Justin is an avid backcountry and alpine skier and mountain biker. He has extensive experience as a recording engineer (including engineering credit on a Grammy-winning record), record producer, professional guitarist and dobro player. Justin currently plays resophonic guitar (dobro) with the Colorado-based bluegrass and Americana band, Mayhem Gulch, and won first prize in the 2016 Rockygrass instrument competition in the dobro category.
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Trademark and copyright registration, prosecution, licensing and dispute resolution.
- Domain name dispute resolution before World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) UDRP arbitration panels.
- Negotiating and memorializing contractual relationships for record labels, film production companies, musicians, artists, and writers.
- Business entity selection, formation and governance.
- Equity purchase and sale, asset purchase and sale, merger, liquidation and other acquisition transactions.
- Memorializing employee-employer relationships in employment, intellectual property rights assignment, non-disclosure, non-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
- General business transactions, including consulting, independent contractor and real estate agreements.
Areas of Practice
- Business Formation
- Business Formation and Transactions
- Contracts and Transactions
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Employment Law
- Entertainment and Media
- Entertainment Law
- Finance and Securities
- Financing and Securities
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Service, Consulting and Management Contracts
- Technology Licensing
- Television Programming
- Web Site User Agreements
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 2006
Order of the Coif
Casenote Editor, University of Colorado Law Review
- Harvard University, A.B., 1997
Bar Admissions / Clerkships
- Clerk for Judge David M. Ebel, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2006-2007
- Admitted to Practice before:
- Colorado Supreme Court, 2006
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2007
Memberships / Awards
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Boulder County Bar Association
- Former Member of Board of Directors, Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra
- Volunteer Attorney, Colorado Lawyers for the Arts
- Co-Chair of Intellectual Property Section of the Boulder Bar Association, 2012-2014